Rhoose, 23rd October

Lead: Liz

At 9.45 four of us set off for Rhoose, where we parked, donned boots and set off up a gradual slope along a street of houses before quickly gaining the countryside.

Surprisingly, and to our delight, it had not continued to drizzle and with the weather quite muggy it was off with cagoules, then back on with them and so it continued, with little bits of drizzle then a relatively humid atmosphere until we reached Fonmon village, a delightful little spot with lovely pond and  lots of ducks. Obviously this was going to be the photo opportunity, so our photographer spent some considerable time bending over, eyeing up the scene and eventually taking TWO photos of us, back to the pond and facing the pond. Warnings had to be given to say “don’t run too fast, or you’ll end up in the pond”, when trying to get into the photo (the surrounding slabs were extremely slippery!).

23 oct

Having spotted another bit of possible path, at 11pm the night before the walk, I couldn’t resist following it and soon we were enjoying a little path through some pretty woods, over a stream and up the other side, to a very dicey stile.

Soon we were onto a very narrow and presumably old lane leading towards the airport, then on taking a left, we went past the Highwayman pub, and along towards the perimeter fence of the airport. This little path gave us some good views over the channel and even some glimpses of sun. Soon a coffee stop beckoned, just through a housing estate in Rhoose, at “Coffee Times”, where we enjoyed a pleasant half hour. From here we wended our way through houses and down over the railway, for what was to be an enjoyable cliff top walk, but this was soon knocked on the head by the path being closed, probably a rockfall, alongside the large quarry, so it meant we had to follow tracks inland. This track was pleasant nonetheless, with lots of lovely autumn vegetation, views of the channel and Devon, and something of a hint of sun, to cheer our way. We exited by the entrance to Fontygary caravan park, and a delightful little Fish and Chip shop in what looked like an old station building (Is it such?). We were soon crossing the road, and back at the car, having done four and a half miles, as we had added the extra bits after my discovery of the wooded path. We had enjoyed surprisingly good weather (it got far worse in the afternoon), a pleasant coffee stop and had all seen bits of the Vale we had not explored before. Thank you to those who came along- a good morning outing.